Monday, January 23, 2012

Know your limits

As I enter my 3rd week of my 40's, I continue to learn life lessons...and for once, I'm listening. I've been "not well" since about January 5. Unlike my "normal self", I realized something wasn't right and went to the doctor pretty quickly. I received a preliminary diagnosis of "bronchitis, possibly pneumonia" (I guess they can't be sure it's pneumonia without an X-ray) and was told if I didn't feel better I needed to come back and they would schedule a chest X-ray. I was prescribed a 5 day antibiotic pack and an inhaler. A couple of days later I still felt icky so I scheduled another appointment to be checked. He listened to my lungs and went ahead and scheduled the chest X-ray too. The results came back the next day and he called and confirmed that I, in fact, had pneumonia. Since that time I've never felt great but have had some days where I felt better than others. Don't get me wrong - I'm not huddled in bed and not making an effort to move around, etc. Other than the first few days, when I had fever and body aches, I haven't felt horribly sick. My temp went completely away at the end of the first week but truly only missed one day of work. I'm learning this is one of the bad things about pneumonia - you know you're sick but you think you can handle it so you keep pushing and then it sneaks up on you and gets worse.  I haven't spiked another temperature - I think that's a good sign - but my breathing, coughing and general lung discomfort are lingering, if not worsening. I get the message! I actually took a sick day. I did some emails this morning but after I dropped the kids off (and unsuccessfully tried to reach the dr office) I made a couple of calls then went to sleep. I'm up and getting ready to eat something but, as well as I slept, my body is telling me I needed the rest.  I GIVE! I'm resting AND I finally was able to reach someone @ the dr office and I have an appointment at 4:20 today. I'm hoping for meds that work and for them to tell me it just takes a while to recover. I'm not letting it go, friends. I'm staying on top of it until I'm better. I may have to take it easy (which is hard for me) but I have my wonderful husband and family so we'll be ok. I'll update later.
Love to all
ACD

No comments:

Post a Comment